Streaming Statistics (40+) you would love to know [2020 Edition]
As the Pandemic continues, more and more services are coming into the streaming scene. Here are the stats about some of the most popular streaming services of all time that show how these services will continue to dominate in the coming years.
A Hong Kong-based firm spent $1.5 billion and originated the idea of online streaming in 1998 by introducing iTV, a first of its kind video-on-demand service. As expected, iTV was smart enough to beat Netflix’s DVD service at that time.
However, Netflix quickly changed its approach and transformed itself from a rental DVD company into a binge-watching online platform. The story did not end here as other streaming services also showed up like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Pandora, and so on.
Due to this reason, live video streaming has become an indispensable part of our daily lives. 47% of consumers across the globe indicated that they have increased live streaming since 2017.
It would not be wrong to say that we live in the age of on-going streaming wars. Here are 40+ streaming stats and facts about different live and on-demand services that suggest the online streaming industry will keep booming and dominating the traditional sources of entertainment.
Statistics for watching streaming services in New Zealand
New Zealand does not have a huge population as compared to China, the USA, and other highly populated countries. But still, you would be surprised to know that 75% of users in the country pay for at least one (1) streaming provider
Due to this reason, you will see a multitude of streaming services that are available within the territory of New Zealand. Here is the list of interesting streaming statistics that are related to New Zealand only:
1. The New Zealand market will generate revenue of US$49 m in the Video Streaming (SVoD) segment during 2020
The Kiwi will keep watching their favourite TV shows, movies, and documentaries throughout 2020. This way, streaming services will earn a huge revenue of US$ 49 m by the end of this year.
2. The revenue will grow at an annual rate of 3.0% with a market volume of US$56 m for the next five years
The annual revenue of the New Zealand market will keep rising at a rate of 3.0%. This trend will increase the market volume up to US$ 56 m from 2020 to 2024.
3. The user penetration rate is 21.8% and it will surge by 22.3% in 2024
At present, the user penetration rate is 21.8% in 2020 but it will increase at a modest rate of 0.5% till 2024. Although the rate is not increasing at a fast pace however, it is still an encouraging sign for prospective services.
4. 30.8% of users from the age bracket 25 to 34 years have opted to online streaming in 2019
The Kiwi users are following the footstep of US subscribers on the streaming front. 30.8% of the young population in the country accessed video-on-demand services to watch their favorite content during the year 2019.
5. The number of users in the Video Streaming (SVoD) segment will be 1.1 m till 2024
The subscribers’ base in the Video Streaming (SVoD) persona will keep improving during the next five years as it will touch the figure of 1.1 m by the end of 2024. Currently, users cannot access famous online streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and others in New Zealand. But, the number of Kiwi users are still on the rise.
6. The average revenue per user (ARPU) is US$ 47.04 in 2020
Surprisingly, the average revenue per user (ARPU) in New Zealand is US 47.04. If we talk about the global average revenue per user (ARPU), it is predicted to be $22.90 in 2020. It shows there is still a lot of room available for upcoming entertainment brands to capture the New Zealand streaming market.
7. 45% of users in the Video Streaming (SVoD) segment were Netflix New Zealand subscribers in 2018
Netflix New Zealand offers an attractive media library to its users. Interestingly, 45% of users related to the Video Streaming (SVoD) segment were Netflix users in New Zealand.
Global Statistics of Streaming Services
8. The video streaming (SVoD) segment’s revenue is expected to be around US$27,628 m in 2020
During the last two months amid the COVID-19 crisis, 3 more streaming services including Quibi, HBO Max, and Peacock have been launched. Therefore, it is highly likely that the video streaming persona will reach the new heights in terms of monetary growth (US$27,628 m) by the end of 2020 worldwide.
9. The revenue will be increased by annual growth of 4.1% (2020-2024), ensuring the market volume of US$32,447 m till 2024
The revenue will keep growing at an appreciable rate of 4.1% on an annual basis. It means that this increase in revenue will also help expand the market volume by the US $32,447 m within the next five years.
10. The number of users in the Video Streaming (SVoD) will be increased up to 1,395.7 million by 2024
Similar to revenue growth and market volume, the customer base of the Video Streaming (SVoD) category is expected to rise by 1395.7 million by the end of 2024. The current scenario provides an ample amount of opportunities to the potential streaming services in the future.
11. The user penetration rate will surge from 16.2% in 2020 to 18.1% by 2024
The future of streaming looks quite promising because more people are expected to subscribe to a particular streaming service in the next five years. At present, the user penetration rate is 16.2%, which means it will increase by 1.9% till 2024.
12. The average revenue per user (ARPU) is US$22.90 in 2020
The average revenue per user (ARPU) would be US$22.90 in the current year worldwide. The current average revenue per user (ARPU) would surely motivate potential live and video-on-demand entertainment services to become a part of this ever-growing streaming industry.
13. United States is one of the topmost countries revenue-wise (US$12,747 m) in 2020
Compared to other countries in the world, the United States (US) is definitely one of the most profitable markets. The streaming services will be generating a massive US$12,274 m profit in the US alone.
14. 36% of users belong to the age group (25-34) in 2019
When it comes to watching TV shows, movies, documentaries, and other video content online, users from the age group (25-34) stay ahead from the rest of other age groups.
15. United States has topped the revenue chart in 2020 with a market volume of US$12,274 m
Again, the US market is leading from the front in terms of revenue when we talk about the existing market volume, which is US$12,747 m.
16. The number of subscribers will continue to rise from 250 m in 2018 to 450 m in 2022
As far as the subscribers’ population goes, it will experience a gigantic surge from 250 m to a whopping 450 m within a period of three (4) years only.
Streaming Services Comparison(by online searches)
17. Online searches about Netflix’s subscription have increased by 123%
People have started searching for Netflix’s subscription plans online quite often. Thus, the online searches during coronavirus pandemic have increased by 123%, which is the reason Netflix witnessed the inclusion of 16 million new users in its customer base.
18. Amazon Prime’ subscription-related online searches have surged by 123%
Like Netflix, Amazon Prime’s online searches about its premium pricing packages have also increased by 123% during the first three months of 2020 throughout the world.
19. Online searches about Disney Plus’s subscription have gone up by 83.5%
Disney Plus has also experienced the same rising trend similar to Netflix and Amazon Prime. The online searches regarding US-based streaming platform’ subscription plans surged by 83.5% in the first quarter of 2020.
20. HBO Go’s online searches went up by 50% as of March 2020 worldwide
Online searches about HBO Go’s subscription plans have increased by 50% during the first three months of 2020. Therefore, the famous US-based streaming service may experience an upward trend in terms of profit and scalability both.
21. Hulu and Crave TV’ online searches have improved by 49.1% and 49.2% respectively
Hulu and Crave TV are other streaming services taking huge advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is one of the reasons why their online searches regarding paid pricing plans have gone up by 49.1% and 49.2%.
22. Online searches about CBC Gem, Apple TV, and Kanopy rose by 40%, 22.1 % and 21.4% each
Other streaming providers like CBC Gem, Apple TV, and Kanopy are also the beneficiaries of the current situation. The searches about these services have increased by 40%, 22.1%, and 21.4% during the first quarter of 2020.
23. The World’s leading video streaming services according to Statista as of November 2019
As expected, Netflix is one of the world’s popular streaming services with a 151.6 m subscriber base worldwide. Surprisingly, IQiyi has achieved the second position on the list having 100 m subscribers from all around the world. Likewise, Tencent Video another Chinese streaming service is fourth on the list based on its 94.0 m subscription base.
Youku is at fifth because it has had 82.1 m subscribers across the globe in the last year. Besides, Viu, Hulu, Alt Balaji, Eros Now, and Iflix are also included in the list of famous streaming services in the world. Viu has maintained the subscriber base of 30 m at the end of November 2019.
Hulu and Alt Balaji have enjoyed the customer base of 28.0 m and 20.0 m during the last year. Eros Now and Iflix both were catering to the demands of 18.8 m and 15.0 m subscribers accordingly.
Netflix streaming facts and figures across the globe
Netflix is one of the fewest online streaming services that exist in 190+ countries globally. During the last five years or so, the company has expanded its operation in 125+ countries including New Zealand. Here are some exclusive statistics and facts about Netflix including:
24. The total revenue of Netflix surged to the mammoth US $20.15 billion in the year 2019
If we talk about Netflix’s revenue in the last decade, it was US$ 1.67 billion dollars. At the end of the year 2019, the famous US-based streaming company ‘s profit has escalated to US$20.15 billion. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the company’s revenue will create a new benchmark this year.
25. There are more than 182 million paid subscribers of Netflix worldwide
Netflix enjoys a massive customer base throughout the world. The service has had more than 182 million subscribers during the first quarter of 2020 across the globe. Moreover, 69 million subscribers out of these subscribers belong to the US region only.
26. 16 m new users joined the Netflix’s customer base amid coronavirus pandemic during the first quarter of 2020
Netflix has experienced unprecedented growth during the COVID-19 crisis. This is because 16 m users subscribed to Netflix’ s online streaming service worldwide. As a result, the existing customer base has increased up to 182.9 m in the first three months of 2020 that is expected to reach up to 190 m by the end of June 2020.
Netflix Subscription base region-wise
27. Netflix enjoys 0.97 m subscription base in Canada
Canada is another country where Netflix’s TV shows and movies are extremely popular. As of now, the service has 0.97 million Canadian subscribers.
28. Netflix has 58.73 m subscribers in different regions like Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
Netflix has a global presence when it comes to exploring its target audience in various regions of the world. Currently, the company offers its services in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa have a customer base of 58.73 million subscribers.
29. There are 54.16 m subscribers of Netflix who belong to other regions such as Latin America and the Asia Pacific
Netflix has a strong foothold in regions like Latin America and Asia with a 54.16 million subscription base. It means that consumers from these regions are fond of watching Netflix’ movies, TV shows, documentaries, and original productions.
Netflix Subscription base Region-wise(Millions)
Revenue earned by Netflix per customer region-wise
30. Netflix has earned a revenue of US $ 13.09 per customer during the first quarter of 2020 in the US and Canada
In terms of average revenue per customer, Netflix received a profit of US$ 13.09 during the first quarter of 2020. This profit was earned from the US and Canadian markets.
31. Netflix has earned a revenue of US $ 10.40 per customer during the first quarter of 2020 in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa regions
The other regions like Europe, the Middle East, and Africa have contributed US$10.40 (an average revenue per customer) to Netflix.
32. Netflix has earned a revenue of US $ 8.05 per customer during the first quarter of 2020 in the Latin America region
The same goes for the Latin American region as well because Netflix has obtained US$ 8.05 (average revenue per customer) in the first three months of 2020.
33. Netflix has earned a revenue of US $ 8.94 per customer during the first quarter of 2020 in the Asia Pacific region
Similar to other regions, Netflix was able to earn average revenue of US $8.94 per customer in the Asia Pacific region from January 2020 till March 2020.
Streaming facts and figures regarding Disney Plus
Disney Plus despite being a newcomer in the entertainment industry has experienced an enormous beginning. The US-based service debuted on November 12, 2019, in the US. It was launched on November 19, 2019, in the Oceanic region consisting of Australia and New Zealand. Here is the list of other countries where you can access the service:
- United Kingdom
- Channel Islands
- Isle of Man
- Puerto Rico
34. Disney Plus has 54.5 million subscribers globally by the end of May 2020
Disney Plus exists in all the leading countries like Netflix and other popular streaming services. The service does have a subscriber base of 54.5 million as of May 31, 2020, which is quite unbelievable considering the fact that the service is still in its nascent stage.
Hulu’s Streaming Facts
Hulu is another source of online entertainment just like Netflix and Disney Plus. However, it does not offers its services in other countries like Australia, New Zealand, and others. Here are some facts that might sound interesting for you:
35. Hulu has 32.1 paid million subscribers in the US alone
Hulu is primarily a subscription-based streaming service that has fulfilled the streaming demands of 32.1 m paid users during the first quarter of 2020 in the US only.
36. 29% of US users have subscribed to Hulu during 2020
Due to coronavirus pandemic, Hulu witnessed a huge rise in its subscription base. As of now, 29% of US viewers have become paid subscribers of Hulu in the year 2020.
37. 18% American millennial watched Hulu several times a day
18% of US viewers from the age bracket of 18 to 19 years accessed Hulu to watch their favourite TV shows and movies. This shows that Hulu is a preferred streaming option for young adults in the US.
Amazon Prime Video Statistics
Amazon Prime Video is a US-based online video-on-demand streaming service. The service does have a presence in other countries like the United Kingdom, Japan, Italy, New Zealand, Australia, and others. Here is the list of few facts and figures you should know about Amazon Prime Video:
38. There are 150+ million subscribers of Amazon Prime Video as of January 2020
Amazon Prime Video is another popular service among streamers from all around the world. At present, the company is maintaining the subscriber base of 150+ million globally. The existing customer base belongs to all the major countries worldwide.
39. 36% US users from the age bracket (18-29) subscribed to Amazon Prime Video as of March 2020
36% of US users who are young adults and adults (18-29) are paid subscribers of Amazon Prime Video according to a study conducted during March 2020.
40. 46% US viewers from the age bracket (45-54) are Amazon Prime Video subscribers as of March 2020
Amazon Prime Video is highly popular among the viewers who belong to the age group (45-54) in the US. 46% of users from this age group have a subscription to Amazon Prime Video.
41. Amazon Prime Video library will consist of 100 million videos by the end of 2020
Amazon Prime Video will continue adding new videos in its current media library during the year 2020. The company is hoping to include 100 million videos in its catalogue by the end of the year 2020.
Miscellaneous streaming statistics
There are other compelling statistics related to other genres like sports that consist of:
42. 58% of viewers from the age bracket (18-27) watched sports content via over the top streaming services
As of November 2019, 58% of users streamed sports content through over the top services including ESPN+, Hulu, and Hotstar. It means these services have turned out to be a go-to option for users from all around the globe.
43. 69% of sports fans from all around the world indicated that advanced technologies improved their streaming experience
69% of sports viewers revealed that the latest technologies helped them enhance their overall viewing experience. Due to that particular reason, they were able to enjoy their favourite sports content on their desired devices.
44. 27% of US viewers assume the price of streaming service should remain below the figure of $20
There is a limit to everything. This famous phrase is quite valid for streaming services as well. 27% of US users suggest that the price from $20 to %$35 on monthly is too much for streaming purposes. Considering the viewpoint of subscribers, the streaming services should offer affordable pricing plans to its users.
Summing up, all these astonishing streaming statistics, facts, and figures support the notion that the online streaming industry has to grow no matter how the circumstances unfold in the future. People from all around the globe are facing the devastating consequences of COVID-19 Pandemic.
They are bound to remain in their homes due to social distancing and lockdowns. Therefore, they are turning to online streaming services in huge numbers to enjoy their leisure time with their loved ones by watching their preferred content.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?