How to Watch Tokyo Olympics in New Zealand
The Olympics is one of the most celebrated events in sports history. However, the Olympics games were delayed last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But luckily, Tokyo Olympics 2020 has started this year on July 23, 2021, and ended on August 08, 2021.
Till then wait for the upcoming event of the Tokyo Olympics that will kick off on February 04, 2022, and will conclude on February 20, 2022.
For now, if you want to know how you can watch Olympics in New Zealand on a wide range of devices, read this guide in detail.
TLDR: How to Watch Tokyo Olympics in New Zealand?
Different ways to watch Olympics in New Zealand
If you want to watch all the exciting games of the Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) while residing in New Zealand, you will have to turn to Sky Sport.
However, Sky Sport is a pricey option considering you will need to subscribe to its Sky Starter package first by paying $25.99 per month.
Once you subscribe to the Sky Starter package, you can add the Sky Sport add-on to your existing subscription plan by paying an additional $31.99 per month.
It means you will pay $57.98 per month in total to watch Olympics in New Zealand accordingly.
Watch Olympics on TVNZ
Apart from this, you can consider using another online streaming option, TVNZ. Sky and TVNZ have made a partnership to broadcast Tokyo Olympics coverage for Kiwi viewers. According to this partnership, TVNZ has become Sky’s free-to-air partner.
As a result, TVNZ will telecast 12 hours of free-to-air live, delayed, and on-demand coverage for its Kiwi viewers. Besides, the leading media network will broadcast all the games or events specifically focusing on New Zealand athletes.
Therefore, there is a strong likelihood that viewers may not watch the performances of their favorite international athletes and sports celebrities.
Hence, you will have to rely on other streaming services or channels to catch all the action on your screens accordingly.
Watch Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) on BBC iPlayer
In this scenario, you may try another famous streaming service, BBC iPlayer. As you might know, BBC is the official broadcaster of the Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) in the UK.
Moreover, BBC will broadcast 350 hours of TV coverage related to Summer’s Tokyo Olympics. Viewers can tune into BBC One and BBC Two to access Olympics coverage live from Tokyo.
The famous British media network has built an exclusive virtual reality studio to telecast all the action live to its viewers. In addition, the second live stream will be accessible to fans on BBC iPlayer.
It means you can access BBC iPlayer to watch all the nerve-wracking games and events during the summer’s Tokyo Olympics.
However, BBC iPlayer follows the concept of geo-restriction like other online streaming services. Therefore, fans cannot access its coverage outside the UK.
If you reside in New Zealand and want to access BBC iPlayer on your desired devices, you will have to use a VPN that offers a UK IP address. This way, you can unblock BBC iPlayer and watch all the games of the Olympics as per your preferences.
Watch Olympics on Seven Network
Apart from BBC iPlayer, you can rely on Seven Network, a leading free-to-air TV network that allows you to watch Olympics games in New Zealand without any cost.
For that reason, you can tune into different channels and online streaming services of Seven Network including Channel 7, 7plus, 7Mate, and 7Two to start watching Olympics in New Zealand on your screens.
However, Seven Network is an Australian media network therefore, you will have to use a VPN to unblock its channels and services in New Zealand appropriately.
Compared to Seven Network, BBC iPlayer seems to be a better option. This is because you can watch all the shows, highlights, and analysis covering Tokyo Olympics on BBC One and BBC Two via BBC iPlayer live or on-demand depending on your choice.
Why do you need a VPN to watch Olympics in New Zealand?
A VPN masks your actual IP address with another IP address, which will be in this case the UK. Hence, you can easily spoof your online locations and access BBC iPlayer on your desired devices to watch Olympics within the Kiwi territory securely.
Steps to watch Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) in New Zealand
If you want to stream Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) in New Zealand, here is what you should do:
Step 1 – Subscribe to ExpressVPN (our recommended choice)
Step 2 – Choose your desired pricing plan but we recommend you to go with its 12 months+ 3 months free package
Step 3 – Download the VPN app on your devices (Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS)
Step 4 – Login to your ExpressVPN account using your credentials
Step 5 – Connect to the UK server from the servers’ list
Step 6 – Open the official website of BBC iPlayer, login to your account, and begin watching Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021)
Why do we recommend ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN is one of the most impressive VPN services out there. In terms of server spread, the BVI (British Virgin Island) based VPN service offers 3000+ servers in 90+ countries worldwide.
Besides, the service provides various security and privacy features like internet kill switch, split tunneling, IP leak protection, DNS leak protection, 5 multi-logins, etc.
If you want to use ExpressVPN, you will have to subscribe to its 12 months + 3 months free package by paying $6.67 per month alongside a 30-day refund policy.
Other VPNs to watch Olympics in New Zealand
Apart from ExpressVPN, you can opt for other VPN services to access media coverage of the Olympics in New Zealand securely and anonymously. These VPN services are:
Surfshark is a BVI (British Virgin Island) based VPN service that provides 3200+ servers in 65 countries worldwide. Besides, the provider offers numerous security and privacy features like internet kill switch, dedicated IP address, cleanweb, whitelister, IP leak protection, DNS leak protection, unlimited simultaneous connections, etc.
If you wish to use Surfshark, you will have to spend $2.49 per month to get its 2-year subscription plan along with a reasonable 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN service that provides 5400+ servers in 55+ countries worldwide. Furthermore, the provider offers various security and privacy features like internet kill switch, dedicated IP address, split tunneling, 6 multi-logins, IP leak protection, etc.
If you want to use NordVPN, you will have to use its 2-year plan to get a chance of saving 72% and 3 free months by paying $3.30 per month along with a decent 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to download the BBC iPlayer app on Android and iOS?
BBC iPlayer is a geo-restricted service therefore, you cannot download it directly from the Google Play Store or App Store. For that reason, you will have to change your online location.
By doing so, you can download the BBC iPlayer app on Android and iOS hassle-free.
If you want to download BBC iPlayer app on Android, follow these simple steps as mentioned below:
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN
- Download the VPN app on your Android device
- Login to your account and connect to a UK server from the servers’ list
- Create a new Google account and sign-in
- Visit the official Play Store, search for the BBC iPlayer app
- Download the app, complete the sign-up procedure and start watching Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) from July 23, 2021
Likewise, you can follow these simple steps to download the BBC iPlayer app on your iOS device:
- Change your Apple ID region to the United Kingdom
- Go to Settings > Apple ID > Media and Purchases
- At this point, choose Country/Region and change it to the UK
- Subscribe to ExpressVPN
- Download the VPN app on your iOS device
- Login to your ExpressVPN account, connect to a UK server from the list of servers
- Open the App Store and search for the BBC iPlayer app
- Download and install it to begin streaming Olympics in New Zealand securely.
Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) Schedule
Here is the list consisting of Olympics events schedule:
- 3X3 Basketball – July 24 to July 28
- Archery – July 23 to July 31
- Artistic Swimming – August 2 to August 7
- Athletics – July 30 to August 8
- Badminton – July 24 to August 2
- Baseball – July 21 to August 7
- Basketball – July 25 to August 8
- Beach Volleyball – July 24 to August 7
- Boxing – July 24 to August 8
- Canoe Slalom – July 25 to July 30
- Canoe Sprint – August 2 to August 7
- Cycling (BMX Freestyle) – July 31 to August 1
- Cycling (BMX Racing) – July 29 to July 30
- Cycling (Mountain Bike) – July 26 to July 27
- Cycling (Road) – July 24 to July 28
- Cycling (Track) – July 2 to July 8
- Diving – July 25 to August 7
- Equestrian – July 24 to August 7
- Fencing – July 24 to August 1
- Football – July 21 to August 7
- Golf – July 29 to August 7
- Gymnastics (Artistic) – July 24 to August 3
- Gymnastics (Rhythmic) – July 6 to July 8
- Gymnastics (Trampoline) – July 30 to July 31
- Handball – July 24 to August 8
- Hockey – July 24 to August 6
- Judo – July 24 to August 31
- Karate – July 5 to July 7
- Marathon Swimming – July 4 to July 5
- Modern Pentathlon – July 5 to July 7
- Rowing – July 23 to July 30
- Rugby – July 26 to July 30
- Sailing – July 25 to August 4
- Shooting – July 24 to August 2
- Skateboarding – July 25 to July 26, August 4 to August 5
- Softball – July 21 to August 7
- Sport Climbing – August 3 to August 6
- Surfing – July 25 to August 1
- Swimming – July 24 to August 1
- Table Tennis – July 24 to August 6
- Taekwondo – July 24 to July 27
- Tennis – July 24 to August 1
- Triathlon – July 26 to July 27, July 31
- Volleyball – July 24 to August 8
- Water Polo – July 24 to August 8
- Weightlifting – July 24 to August 4
- Wrestling – August 1 to August 7
Will the Tokyo Olympics allow spectators?
Unfortunately, fans cannot visit Olympics games venues due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
How many events are included in Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021)?
There are 339 events included in Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) in total. Furthermore, these events will represent 33 sports as a whole.
What are the new dates for the Olympics?
The Olympics games will commence on July 23, 2021, and end on August 08, 2021. Besides, the Paralympics games will be played from August 24, 2021, till September 05, 2021.
We hope that you can easily watch Olympics games on a wide range of devices in New Zealand following our guide. In short, you will have to use a VPN to access the live coverage of Tokyo Olympics 2020(2021) under your budget. Some people search for a free VPN so they don’t have to spend a dime on a VPN but we don’t recommend them as they aren’t as secure as the premium VPNs.
If you still want to go for a free VPN, read our detailed guide on the best free VPNs to use in New Zealand to see which free VPN is a better option as per your need.
If you don’t opt for a VPN, you will need to use Sky Sport, which is an extremely expensive option compared to Seven Network.
You may also be interested in: